Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!  Miss you and you and you and you  . . . 

It's strange to celebrate Thanksgiving abroad.  It's my absolute favorite holiday (what's not to love about the BIG 3 of Food, Family and Friends), and I'm grateful that we will be spending it with good friends on Saturday (even if my heart pitter patters for the familiarity of home).

My list of things I'm grateful for is too long to spell out here (and boy do I mean that), so I'll stick to the top and most immediate.

First, I've had the grand pleasure of watching Peanuts with Abigail and Reese over the past couple of weeks.  It started with "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown," just before we left for the US, which of course was followed by "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving."  When the latter sparked belly laughs from both my kids (Snoopy and Woodstock are actually pretty funny), we bought a whole series of them on our Apple TV.  Since then, the kids and I have been binge watching Peanuts, a childhood relic of mine.  They were intrigued with the same parts, like how the teacher talks in that funny voice.  Hard to have envisioned this day, when my babies are old enough to appreciate Charlie Brown and the gang.  And young enough too.  Thanks, Abby and Reese, for sharing this with me.

Secondly, it goes without saying how thankful we are for Doug. 

But maybe I'll say something.  His journey to Rwanda is inspiring.  It's hard to plug into a country and its needs, and to find a productive place as a solo volunteer.  Doug found some amazing organizations and people to connect with, and his time has been productive and rewarding.

Everyday we miss him, and while certainly there are days when I'm mad and frustrated that he's not here, the truth is I look at his twitter post from today and recognize how happy and thankful I am that my husband chose to do this with his time off from work.  xxxx



Here are some of Doug's words from text messages he sent me earlier in the week.

"I had an amazing day.  Really learning so much about people.  human nature and real problems (officially 3rd world).  So many don't complain, stay optimistic and grateful for what they have.  I have listened to several unbelievable stories in private settings that really provide a view into the human spirit."
 "Didn't mean to disappear.  Was planning to catch up with you tonight, but ended up in a deep conversation with a Hutu on private perspective of genocide.  after earlier learning private perspective from Tutsi earlier today. Both heart wrenching.  Truly amazing journey that this country has been on.  So difficult and so inspiring."
Abby and Reese stocked Doug up with some of their toys to give away in Rwanda.  The toys had to be small to fit in his suitcase, but the process of giving something up to help someone else was really rewarding for them when they saw these photos today (taken from a "Reconciliation Village" implemented after the Genocide, and something I'll follow up on later). Truly the spirit of Thanksgiving.  To think outside ourselves.  

Very proud of our little sprouts (quote from Doug's text).




 May we all carry a smile.  Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment