Friday, March 10, 2017

Commonwealth

Just finished this one. So good.

It is my second favorite by this amazing writer. Because who can't list Bel Canto as their favorite Ann Patchett novel?

Thanks to my mom for the autographed copy. I love going to Patchett's bookstore when I'm in Nashville visiting my mom and O. It's tradition now. Kudos to Ms. Patchett for keeping the independent bookstore alive.

Dare we forget, Ann Patchett is the queen of awesome first lines. Her book openers are legendary--concise, yet delivering us perfectly and elegantly into the story with carefully chosen words and information. If you ask me, her chapter and paragraph openers are just as powerful. She's taught me a lot.

Here's the opener to Commonwealth:

The christening party took a turn when Albert Cousins arrived with the gin.


Here's the opener to Bel Canto, one of my all-time favorite novels:

When the lights went off the accompanist kissed her.

Boom! See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment