Saturday, July 11, 2015

Small Gestures

I miss my pile of New Yorkers, which sat in the same basket for four-plus years in our house back in the States. They came weekly, and I certainly didn't have time to read them all. It was costly and totally not earth-friendly, but I loved getting them in the mail each week, quickly skimming the articles topics and the short fiction and the cartoons, then throwing it in the basket to read as I had time.

In Amsterdam, I occasionally go to the American book store or other random newsstands that carry English magazines to pick up the New Yorker. And I frequently read it online.

But I must say, I cherished every page of this edition of the New Yorker because my husband brought it home for me while on a trip to the U.S. in June, along with the Smithsonian's travel mag. It was kind of like getting it in the mail, insomuch as I didn't have to pursue it. 

A small, sweet gesture with big impact.


No comments:

Post a Comment