Tuesday, February 28, 2017

From The Alps to The Rockies, A Journey of Going Up While Coming Down

Learning to ski in your mid-40's is something close to torture.

It's totally unnatural to slide down a mountain, and for three years now, my middle-aged brain has waged a valiant battle against the entire notion. But my head is losing the battle. It's letting go, and by golly, I'm sliding down the damn mountain. It's terrifyingly electrifying.

I cried at the top of the mountain this past week in Colorado. Not because I was disabled by fear (as usual), but because I was so proud of myself and so filled with joy to ski with my kids and my husband. I spent days skiing with my family. I spent days not being stuck on the bunny slope or at the restaurant with a glass of wine waiting for everyone else to finish a gorgeous day of activity. I laughed with my son as we played chase on the slopes, and had cute conversations with my daughter on long chair lift rides to the top. I had dates with my husband--on skies. None of this was ever assumed; it was never clear I'd break through my fear. I've spent years trying, frustrated with myself while frustrating those around me.

This trip was different. Something clicked. A loosening occurred. I've got a long way to go, but I'm so proud of the terrain I've covered. I'm still stunned I can check this box. Indeed, through the process of learning how to come down, I've been lifted up.








It goes without saying that I'm even prouder of my two beautiful children, who love to ski and impressed the hell out me this trip. They totally took down black diamonds for the first time, like the stars that they are.



This was also the first time we've had the opportunity to ski with friends, and we happily skipped the formal lessons and skied as a group. But this wasn't just any set of friends--we're god parents to each others' children and some of us go as far back as middle school. This was a major reunion, for while we've seen each other in various smaller combinations, this occasion marked the first time all six adults have been together in thirteen years.






 No, seriously. I guess they're experts, cuz they did this one!



Photo bomb!


 The grown-up buds:








We capped things off on our ski adventure with a trip to the local hot springs, then a couple of days in Boulder at the home of our dear ski buds, including a Denver Nuggets vs. Brooklyn Nets game.

A huge thanks to DB and AF for all their planning and hosting--we had an amazing time!






And a really, really huge thank you to DB and AF for the cowboy boots. What a hit! Yee haw!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment