Friday, February 17, 2017

Catch Up

Many people asked if I was planning to keep up my blog once I moved back to the U.S., and I wholeheartedly said, "Yes. Of course!" The presumption behind the question being that once I returned to what I know, there wouldn't be as much to write about--a nod to the age-old 'fish out of water' tale, which is always rife with good material.

The thing is though, I still feel like a fish out of water. NYC is new. I hired a babysitter (one week ago), so that I can really focus on my novel, and in this respect my time is new. I'm toying with a business idea and doing lots of research (just in case this writing thing doesn't pan out). My children are in an American school for the first time, facing new pressures (like the godforsaken standardized tests coming up next month). DS and I just finished a training course so we could volunteer easily in NYC neighborhoods. We just bought an apartment. In.New.York.City.

Oh, and speaking of fish, we adopted two: Winnie and Mrs. Pom Pom. :-)

Above all, the election and it's aftermath have left me emotional and exhausted. I confess to losing hours and hours in front of my news feed. I have a genuine concern for the country my children will inherit, and feel a mounting desire to act in a committed manner, in ways that really effect change. That said, I mourn the inevitable distance that will occur with friends and family who disagree with my views, or think I've become "too" political. I'm at a crossroads.

The point is, I still have plenty to write about. And I imagine I'll pick up speed again soon. Just taking some time to regroup.

In the meantime, to catch up a bit . . . .

We enjoyed a much-needed family reunion in Nashville over the holidays, the stars of which were these four love bugs:





A big hug to our hosts, grandparents with most-ess!


Back in NYC, my little girl received the best Christmas present ever when her Amsterdam bestie came for a visit:






We also took time to squeeze in quintessential Big Apple holiday outings.

Afternoon at The Rockettes with dinner at Tavern on the Green in Central Park:


Urban tree hunting:


Santa at Macy's:


Skating at Bryant Park and Central Park:


 And going waaaay back to Thanksgiving, we were overjoyed to spend the week with this lovely family, who we are lucky enough to see AGAIN tomorrow morning in Colorado!





1 comment:

  1. "I still feel like a fish out of water".

    well... you and your family will always be welcome here..

    Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete