Friday, May 29, 2015

Black Drop

I could not be more intrigued by this statue of Mary Stuart in Luxembourg Gardens.  I almost filed this blog entry under my "Nerdy History Toys" label, but this isn't a toy.  It's an existing statue of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, cloaked in a contemporary artist's "black cape," which is meant to represent the the 90 days of darkness Mary spent mourning her husband, the king of FRANCE. After the king's death, Mary returned to England, where after much scandal, intrigue, and (my favorite topic) 16th-century Protestant-Catholic craziness, she was beheaded by Elizabeth I.  Oh, the annals of history.




3 comments:

  1. I love this but so far can't find anything else out about it online. Do you by chance know the artist's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! I thought I took a photo of the informational plaque next to the statue, but it seems I didn't. I couldn't find anything about it online either. :-) Let me know if you stumble onto any info.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete