Friday, May 8, 2015

Flying South

Holy sightseeing.  I mean that in the "Holy sightseeing, Batman" kind of way, since it's been a week of lots and lots of sightseeing.  And because much of our sightseeing has been to visit holy places.

There are over 3,000 mosques in Istanbul alone; we've now seen five of them.

We were very excited to fly south to the village of Kas on the Mediterranean and kick back in the sun for the second leg of our adventure in Turkey.

Turkish gulets are a wooden sailing vessel, unique to Turkey, developed as charter boats during the 1960's when Bodrum and other destinations on Aegean and Mediterranean Seas became super popular with tourists.

And so, we spent our first few days lost at sea.

Ahoy there, Abby and Reese!
















Tea time!!




When I climbed inside my kayak, I experienced the strongest pangs of homesickness I've had since moving to Amsterdam. And here I was in remote Turkey.  My heart swelled, and I missed the peacefulness of being on the water.  I missed Bainbridge and our house on the water.  I missed my lavender kayak that D got me for my birthday just after R was born, and I missed paddling our toddler kids to dinner at sunset.  I love you BI, and our dear friends who made it the first home-that-felt-like-home.  xxoo





No comments:

Post a Comment