Monday, June 30, 2014

It's a Pity It's a Potty

While we're on the topic of Dutch houses, the bathrooms are also worthy of mention.

The toilet is usually housed in a separate room from the shower/bath area since most houses/flats are small with only 1 bath, and the separation allows the WC to still be used even if someone is showering. We are fortunate to have 2 1/2 baths.

Still, no mater how many are in the house, the water closet is exactly that, a closet.  Or perhaps more aptly, a water cupboard, like ours pictured here.  In both, one cannot fully turnaround, and in the first, the sink is so small (in order to fit into the super small closet) that the pipes and basin can't actually handle the flow of water so we've completely abandoned it.

We love it though!  Cozy. 

And I'm not clear how this custom developed, but a must-have in every Dutch bathroom is a birthday calendar hanging on the wall or bulletin board.  I had heard about this, and so whenever we go to our Dutch friends' homes for dinner or a party I always investigate.  100% of the time they have all had a calendar . . . I'm still trying to go completely paperless so I haven't hung my own calenda,r but I adore the commitment of Dutch homemakers to this tradition.





No comments:

Post a Comment